Building a Vintage Race Spitfire

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Building a Vintage Race Spitfire
From: "Tom Shirley" <tshirley@vol.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:41:22 -0500
I'm trying to do some research to make a decision on which type of vintage
race car to buy/build. I know it's easier and cheaper to buy than build, but
I may have to resort to building one if the right car isn't available.

Right now, I'm torn between a Spitfire, a Spridget and a Formula Vee. If
you've seen my website, most of you already know I've had a Vee. Fun and
inexpensive. But the wife doesn't like open wheel cars when I'm doing wheel
to wheel stuff. I can see her side, but they sure are fun.

Locally there is a race shop run by a close friend that can build a Spridget
as well as anyone in the country. Building, sorting, problem solving, etc.
would be at a minimum. Mark one up for the Spridget.

But as you all know, I LOVE Spitfires. That's what I really want. Naturally
the lack of local expertise makes the decision more difficult.

My questions are:

1) There are known problems associated with the rear axles of the Spitfire
such as breakage. Camber compensation is easy to fix, right Joe! What are
the possible (permanent) fixes and their costs for the breakage problem?
Jari Tabell has sent me info on how he is dealing with this, but he's in
Finland and the shop fixing the problem is there also.

2) Have any of you that race Spitfires found sources (on the web, in
bookstores, anywhere) for parts, services, help, etc. that you can point me
towards?

3) Are there other common problems associated with racing Spitfires that I
need to know about.

I'll probably think of other questions later, but for now, HELP!

BTW, I've sold the 78 (provided the check clears, and I'm sure it will) to
Andy Banks of Augusta, GA. I plan to deliver it to him on Feb 5. Need
another Spitfire, don't I!

Tom Shirley Chattanooga, TN
99 Mazda Miata (Bad Dog Racing)
http://www.geocities.com/baddogracing/