Re: Horn Button Stuff

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Horn Button Stuff
From: David Brock <davidb@ilx.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:15:39 -0500
Jeff:

Not sure if this will help, and I can't really check, because Beverly is in
storage many miles away from me at the moment *choking back tears* but the
inside of the horn is quite without wires.  I was trying to track down a
problem a few years ago when I learned about the horn button switch.  My
info is from a '73 1500, but I suspect that it's similar in  make-up
(what?!?! our cars wear make-up?, Oh, yeah, well, grease & paint...)

There's a little plunger-like thing, about as big around as a pencil, and
2-3 inches (~5cm) long, that, I think is a plastic piece with a
spring-loaded metal piece inside that makes the connection between a metal
ring under the horn and the (purple?) wire that runs down the column to the
wiring harness, and eventually, the horn.  The sprung plunger is so that as
the wheel rotates, there's no tangling or twisting of wires.  The actual
horn switch is just the lightly-spring-loaded button that touches the
isolated metal ring (to ground the purple wire).

So... not sure if you're missing the purple wire, the plunger or the horn
button, or anything at all, or even, if this is what you were asking about
in the first place.  And, of course, even if it was, I make no claims for
how accurate the information is, and lastly, I hope this isn't considered a
waste of bandwidth.  (My standard disclaimers for all e-mail and verbal
conversations)

I just feel that I should drop a note to the list at least once a year to
let Andy & Joe (et al) know that I'm still alive, or alight, or whatever.

;-David