Re: alternate techniques (was Re: dustcovers)

To: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: alternate techniques (was Re: dustcovers)
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:48:55 -0500
nikolai jaremka wrote:

> that sounds like it might work equally well to get a stubborn cylinder head
> unstuck from the block... ;)
>
> --- Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hey,
> > Here's a technique I heard about (DO NOT TRY THIS).
> >
> > > Dribble a little gunpowder in through the dust cover
> > > vent hole. Using one of those loooong barbeque
> > > matches, hold the lighted end next to the 'touch
> > > hole' (stand back!).
> > > If the dust cover still does not come off (or if you
> >
> > > cannot find it afterwards), obtain a new unit.
> >
> > Mmmm, well, maybe not such a good idea.

A guy I know used to have trouble with wide race tires.
The ones at the bottom of the stack were sometimes really hard to
mount because they could not get them close enough to the rim to
set the bead.  He said you put the tire on the rim spray some starting
fluid into the tire (not sure how much, but I guess more is better)
then toss in a match.  PPOOOOFFFFF the tire can be seated seat.
Don't try this at home, and I have never tried it myself.  Should
work for a dust cover and you don't have to worry about an incomplete
burn.  I guess this is better living through chemicals.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
90 Shar-Pei