RE: Wrong size tires...

To: "'Tep735'" <Tep735@email.msn.com>,
Subject: RE: Wrong size tires...
From: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 07:45:12 -0600
Frank,

I currently have 185/70 r13 - Continentals on stock wheels on my '77.  I hope
soon to move up to 205/60 13 - Shimitomos.   I wouldn't expect that putting
165/80 13s would be a problem.  Look carefully at the fender wells for
rubbing/scuff marks.  Have the springs been replaced to lower the ride height?
Someone may need to correct me, but I believe that specs are 4" on a '79,
(better check your manual).   Also check the a-arms, top and bottom, to make
sure something isn't bent and make sure the hubs and wheels run true.  To
check them out, jack up each front wheel, spin it and see if there is a
noticeable wobble.

Noise may also come from the wheels bearings or brake pads.  When driving the
car slowly, in a straight line, gently move the steering wheel side to side
and listen for rumbling (bearing) or scuffing (brake pads).  If you hear noise
when you turn one direction and not the other there is probably a bad bearing
on the side opposite the turn (the side with the load).  If the bearings are
loose, this can cause the brake pads to cause a scuffing sound when the car is
turned.  Pack the bearings with grease and adjust them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Paul Mostrom
'77 Spitfire 1500
'80 Ford F-100 (Triumph Support Vehicle)

'Black holes, where God divided by zero......'