tire size on a spit

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: tire size on a spit
From: "James F. Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:45:38 -0500 (EST)
I really wouldn't think running 165's on your spit was the problem.  I am
running race compound 185's (read: wider than real 185's) on both tr7 and
spit wheels without a problem, even if the car is turned all the way at
lock at speeds higher than this should be done at.  Running those
super-whimpy 155's is the quickest way to hate you spit.  I would get
under the car with the wheels turned and see where there is contact.  Are
you sure it is the tires rubbing an not some other noise like the brakes
rubbing or bearings (not to insult your intelligence)?  I would be sure
some other thing is not out of place like a bent fender well, a redundant
brake line, bent suspension, etc.  If it is the fender well, then a good
hammer would be the solution.  Otherwise, you should have no reason not to
be running 185's.  The spit can actually become quite fun with tires and
springs.

jim