Re: Local oil filter sources?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Local oil filter sources?
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 19:44:47 -0600
>Gee whiz,
>
>I was surprised to walk into both Kragen and Auto Quest in search of a
>simple oil filter, only to walk out empty-handed.  Well, Kragen actually
>sold me the wrong one the first time around.
>
>You mean to tell me that I'm going to have to order my OIL Filters by mail
>order, also?  Sheesh!  That quirky British humor has bitten me in the ass
>once again!
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Jeff in San Diego

I can't seem to find my handy-dandy Haynes manual, but I went to AC
Delco's Web site at
http://www.acdelco.com/parts/oilfilter_cat_set.htm and looked at the
oil filter listing for a 1968 Spitfire (they don't list 1967
Spitfires, but it's the same 1300 engine).  They list a PF13 as the
correct filter (same as for my 1500).

Now, if I recall from my 1500 correctly, there were a couple of
different thread adapters sold, which means that some cars take
different filters than others.  Also, not everyone is going to want a
plain-jane AC Delco filter (see discussion on TR list a few weeks
ago).  But this might serve as a starting point for you, since you
can see whether a $2.95 filter will fit and then use a
cross-reference catalog to select a better one.

Hope this is of some use.

Dan