Re: Seat symmetry?

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Seat symmetry?
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:03:38 -0000
> I've since tracked down a replacement seat from a fellow parting out his '64
> Mk2.  But my question is this:  Are the lowback seat backs supposed to be
> slightly asymmetrical to begin with?  Is there such a thing as a right hand
> and left hand seat?  Up until now, I thought the seats were interchangeable,
> but now I'm beginning to wonder...

Jeff, the low backs on the mk1 are NOT symmetrical.  It flares more towards
the inside of the car.  The only difference between the mk1 and mk1 seats
were the seat bottoms.  I went through all of this a couple of years ago
when I was completing my spitfire.  Seat backs are handed and the
cushions are not.  But the cushions for the mk2 should have foam rubber in
them where the mk1's do not.  The mk1's use spring cushions.

It sounds like your seat that is the same on both sides is wrong for the car.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Triumph Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/12/99)
My Dodge Web Site Http://www.141.com/dodge (updated 4/7/99)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- Now camber compensated!
1962 TR4 CT288L -- lots & lots of teeny pieces
1962 TR3B TCF1564L (in the barn)
1953 Mayflower TT29490LDL (in the driveway)
1951 1/2 ton Dodge Truck B-3-B-108