My 2 cents on planes and cars

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: My 2 cents on planes and cars
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 07:35:35 -0800
I've been sort of lurking on the sidelines throughout all of this debate for
the most part, but I just had a thought.

I live in a retirement community filled with seniors and veterans of war.  I
don't know much, if anything about Spitfire aircraft and with all due
respect, I'm really not all that interested in researching them.  Perhaps I
should.  I DO know a little something about Spitfire sports cars (and I'm
learning more -- sometimes the hard way -- almost daily!).  I could talk
about Spitfires all day with anyone I meet.  But I know that I would
personally feel like a complete horses ass if someday a WWII veteran, to
whom I owe so very much, were to walk up to my car one day and strike up a
conversation with me about military aircraft because he saw the plane
pictured on my club jacket or window decal or whatever and assumed I knew
something about them.

I personally would feel like a fraud sporting an emblem from WWII or one
that pictured a WWII aircraft on it.  I would feel as though I was
dishonoring the many distinguished veterans in my community by doing so.
I'd love to belong to the club, but not if I have to talk about planes or
other topics I'm not qualified to discuss with any degree of intelligence.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego