Revisionist parts from Rimmers?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Revisionist parts from Rimmers?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:55:47 -0800
Hi all, I just received my first order from "across the pond" today.  I
ordered a replacement turn signal lens for my dash (perfect), a moulded
carpet set (looks great) and a replacement walnut facia panel for my
instrument cluster.  The latter item was sort of an impluse buy for me...
As some of you may recall, I had sent my original dash out for professional
restoral, opting to go with a tiger maple veneer in a similar light stain
finish.  I wanted to hedge my bets since I'm torn between custom wood and
originality and noted that the dashes depicted in the Rimmer Bros. catalog
looked exactly the way the originals did.  Imagine my surprise to open the
dash package today to find a dark brown, American Walnut facia panel!  Has
anyone else ordered this part for their early Spitfire from Rimmer Bros.
before?   The finish is more of a dark cocoa brown rather than honey.

I've written my export sales rep to express my disappointment.  Insofar as I
know, they only offer one finish and I was expecting it to be just as they
illustrated it -- just as my original would have looked when new.  Am I
unreasonable to expect a part that more closely resembles what the catalog
has illustrated?  Better yet, am I reasonable to expect a part in keeping
with the "British Motor Heritage Approved" seal that Rimmer Bros. so proudly
displays on their invoice? Would BMH approve a completely different wood and
stain than was originally sold with the car?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"