Re: Radio Installation

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radio Installation
From: Ken C <kenwc@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:35:05 -0800
Hadn't thought of  'auto-eject', I quickly checked out the one I got and it
does not 'auto-eject'. Just as you shift into 1st gear, the Doobie Bros
finish up and 'CRUNCH' !! Not a good thing...

As far as speakers... Radio Shack sells a pair of surface mount speakers
(12-1724, $30 a pair) that fit nicely in the kick panels. A pair of Pioneer
surface mount speakers sit behind the seats, in the wells.  Don't know if
they will interfere with the top going down, but there are currently no
plans to install a top (sorry, I know it's a 'hood'). Sounds really good in
the garage, haven't started the motor yet. My wife thinks I'm just a little
strange sitting in the car, listening to the radio, she just doesn't
understand.

Ken C

> Ken, I put a radio/CD player in my car ('77 1500) last month, and I'm very
> pleased with the results.
>
> I mounted it in the dash support (where there was previously a very old,
> slightly broken radio/cassette player).  I have a pair of 4" speakers
mounted in
> the rear of the cockpit, in the panel in front of the fuel tank - had to
insert
> a piece of sponge between the speakers and the fuel tank to stop them from
> knocking each other, and had to mount them slightly towards the centre of
the
> car, where there's more room than there is on the outside of the car, but
no
> problems apart from that.  If you can find a decent set of 3.5" speakers,
> though, they'd fit better.  I run speaker wires under the door rubbers,
simply
> because I was too lazy to remove the seats!  I will move the wires under
the
> carpet the next time I have the seats out.
>
> Sound-wise, it's ok, but not going to win any awards.  I can hear the
stereo
> perfectly at 70mph with the roof up.  With the roof down, though, it needs
the
> stereo to be on very nearly full volume to be audible - I think this is at
least
> partly because the soft-top covers up the speakers when the roof is down.
(Ok,