Rear Leaf Spring Lifting Device for Spit, GT6, Herald ...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Leaf Spring Lifting Device for Spit, GT6, Herald ...
From: ScottBarr8@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:40:51 EST
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty tired of having to jack
under the vertical links every time I want to release the pressure of the
leaf spring on the rear suspension.  Have to do this every time you replace
u-joints, half-shafts, rubber donuts, or half a million other things back
there.

There is a spring lifting tool described in most of the manuals: a 3-foot
steel bar with two brackets on one end.  The two brackets fit over the top of
the leaf spring, a bolt goes through the outboard bracket, under the spring,
and the lifting bar is propped up, taking all the pressure off of the
suspension components.  TSSC sells this tool for 29 pounds (which is like,
what, $48?), plus shipping.

Being a cheapskate and in a hurry, I contacted a local fabricator to see if I
could have one made.  They can make one for $40 or they can make 10 for $28.
See where I'm headed here?

Anybody else want one?  If no one else does, I'll take my single piece at
$40.  But if we can all save $20 why not do it?

Scott
ScottBarr8@aol.com