Re: Spitfire Facts & Figures

To: Suzie <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Facts & Figures
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:56:34 -0700
Suzie,
I don't know where they got their data, but THe BMIHT has the Mk3 listed
as follows:

Jan 1967  FD4 through Dec 1970 FD92803  (FD1 through FD3 were not found
in their records)

It might be noted that new year models started at even numbers (i.e.
first 1970 model was FD75000) and the last of the year's models would
have stopped at some point before that.  So they are not totally
inclusive.

For the MkIV, production began in August 1970 with chassis number 3 and
continued through 64996.  Prefix could have been FH, FK or FL.  Just
like the Mk3, the MkIV year models started on major number sequences and
left gaps between that and the preceeding year.  Just like the Mk3, the
Serial numbers 1 and 3 were not found.

Regards,
Joe

Suzie wrote:

> This month's edition of Club Torque, the Club Triumph magazine included a
> bunch of figures including home & export quantities & chassis numbers for
> each mark.
>
> I'm rather confused as they quote the first set of Mk III chassis numbers
> as being from FD1 - FD15306. Does that mean that I've spent all that money
> on a non-existent car as Baby Blue is FD16410?
>
> I'm also curious about the Mk IVs, the chassis numbers quoted for them are
> FH3 - FH64995. What happened to FH1 & 2?
>
> Suzie

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer