Re: electronic ignition

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
From: "BJ Martin" <bj_martin@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 07:11:38 PST
>From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>

>If you aren't sure, measure across the leads of the
>coil with an ohmmeter.  If you achieve a 3 to 4 ohms reading, it has
>internal ballast.  Less than that reading means it does not.

OK, I get 1.5 ohms across the poles on the coil (and 0.9 ohms on a spare;
both are Lucas). Means no ballast, correct (remember, I'm an electrical
idiot)?

>That block is probably the drive resistor and not ballast.  If this >is
>the case, should be eliminated since it's function is to bias the
>internal electronics of the Lucas ignition not provide ballast.

I don't understand what a drive resistor means but since it is incompletely
wired, currently, I can just ignore it, correct?

>I think
>that most (if not all) Spits with Lucas electronic ignitions had
>resistive wire ballast.  Check the wiring to see if it is still >there.

How would I know this? I thought the test for voltage drop (i.e. supposed to
drop below 8 volts and I got 9.3 v) was supposed to look for that. Is there
some other way to tell if this ballast wire is in the circuit?

Thanks, I appreciate the input. brent