Re: Rearend re-assembly tips??

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rearend re-assembly tips??
From: ScottBarr8@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:29:07 EST
In a message dated 03/19/2000 4:54:51 PM Central Standard Time,
krhodes1@maine.rr.com writes:

<< So today I started with my differential swapout.... brings me to my
question - what's the best order  for putting it all back together? Seems a
bit of a three dimensional  puzzle. >>

Yes, it is, isn't it.

<< Is it best to put the long bolt in the rear in first, then the
 front mounts in loosely, then the studs? Any tricks on getting the studs
 lined up? Seems like that is likely to be the worst part.  >>

I've found it easiest to get the ears at the rear lined up (check that the
little bushings are in place) and slide the long bolt in part way.  Then I
get the front mounts lined up and turn the nuts on a few threads.  Then, I
get as many 3/8ths drive extensions as I can find and start putting the long
bolt in all the way -- from next to the car rather than under it.  Just
easier that way.  You can tap/turn the long bolt through (being careful not
to damage the threads).  With the nut on the long bolt and the front mounts
loosely secured, you can start getting the studs through the spring and the
nuts turned onto the studs enough to keep them there.  I generally just push
down on the spring enough to get the studs through.  Yes, the pad should be
in place.  Once the nuts are on, give it a good look to be sure that
everthing looks good then tighten it all down.  At least that's how I've done
it...

Scott