Re: Oil

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil
From: ScottBarr8@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:12:58 EST
In a message dated 03/20/2000 12:42:51 PM Central Standard Time,
RC1NUKE@aol.com writes:

<< Also I notice that If my oil level is more than Half a quart under the
high
 mark and I have an extended hard deceleration my oil pressure drops to
almost
 zero. I believe the oil is moving forward in the pan and uncovering the pump
 pickup. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, that's pretty commonly reported.  I have what (I think) the NASCAR boys
would call a "windage tray" welded in the oil pan.  Essentially, it's just a
flat plate welded in such a way as to prevent the oil from all surging
forward away from the pickup, but not prevent the oil from draining back.  It
also has little dimples pounded into it for rod clearance (yes, they were
there before I started the engine :-0  )  Regular baffling would also help.

Scott