fuel prices

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel prices
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:01:57 -0600
The "fuel" I put in my body has not changed in price.

Gasoline, however, is $0.715 / l  in C$.  In Yankee, that is (directly)
$2.72 C$ per US gallon.

Factored for our Dismal Dollar (you've heard it already), that translates
into an even $4.00/US gallon in currency adjusted form.  And since income
levels seem to be similar in absolute dollar terms,  that would be a
reasonable number to use to compare.

Our LOWEST personal income tax rate (fed. and provincial) is 25.33%, and
that only covers taxable income to $29,590 (YMDV in the USA). That increases
the before tax costs to $5.33 /gallon.

'nuff whining?
I have started to use my mountain bike for those "short trips" I seem to
make.  I have not yet burned 30 litres of fuel (7.9 US gallons) in the past
10 days, whereas normally I'd be at about 38 litres.  And I feel great!

..sadly, the GT6 is sitting in drydock awaiting a gearbox decision (   ~~ IT
~~ needs health insurance!) so I have no complaints about how much it is
costing me to have raw fuel pouring out the tailpipe!  (Honda 1,  LBC nil).
Hopefully that will change soon, but then there is the fixed hard top issue
that will not be so easy to change  :)

Dave T
...refusnik?

BTW,  the gross cost difference, if it stabilises now, is about $10/month
for me.  Winnipeg is not exactly L.A. I pity you that it in rush hour(s)
freeway jams watching the fuel needle move faster than the speedo