Re: Spitfire-related topic

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire-related topic
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@CAT.com>
Date: 24 Mar 2000 09:01:01 -0600
---------------------- Forwarded by Richard B Gosling/1M/Caterpillar on
 24/03/2000 02:59 PM ---------------------------

Richard B Gosling
24Mar2000 03:01 PM

To:     spitfires@autox.team.net
cc:
Retain Until: 23/04/2000        Retention Category: G90    - Information and
 Reports
Caterpillar Confidential:  Green

Well, Susan, you asked for it...

Around last November, I noticed a bit of free play in the drive-line - clunky
 noises when I went to pull away, or when switching between accelerating and
 engine braking.  I diagnosed two most likely causes as free play in the diff,
 or worn UJ.  A quick check underneath confirmed that the UJ on the off-side
 driveshaft from the diff had free play, and seemed to have lost all the roller
 bearings in one cup.

So, I purchased a new UJ (7 quid or so, bargain!), and set aside a Saturday
 morning.  Remove the wheel, disconnect the damper (from the top, bottom nut
 wouldn't budge), disconnect the radius arm, disconnect the brake hose,
 disconnect the spring, remove the bolts holding the UJ to the diff, and sure
 enough the whole assembly comes off as it should.  Press out the old UJ using
 a vice (vise to you Yanks), press in the new one, retain the cups with their
 circlips...  Re-assemble the whole thing, should have bled the brakes but I'll
 leave that to another time, drive off and everything is wonderful.

For about 2 days, when the free play is suddenly back again.  A check
 underneath reveals that one of the cups has fallen out - what was that about
 retaining the cups with the circlip.  The circlip must not have been fully
 home in it's groove.  It is now Tuesday.  As I believe I have mentioned
 before, Daffy is the only car I own, so I rely on her to take me on my daily
 60 mile round trip to work and back.  The spider from the UJ is still there,
 but without the cup it is acting directly on the flange.  Still, it looks like
 it can't fall out, and it is still pushing the wheels round, so I guess I can
 take it carefully for a few days, and I order another UJ to fit at the
 weekend.

Works fine for a day and a half.  Then, Wednesday evening, I am going home,
 doing about 70 mph around a gentle bend on the Parkway (Peterborough's fast,
 dual carriageway ring road system), and I suddenly find the car flying around
 all over the place.  The UJ has given up, and since the driveshaft gives the
 wheel most of its location, the offside rear wheel is flapping about like a
 hanky in the breeze.  I consider myself very lucky to make it to the verge
 without flying off the road or hitting anyone else (remember, I'm on my way
 home from work, so roads are busy).

Subsequent repair work shows the flange on the driveshaft is all bent out of
 shape, and the madly thrashing driveshaft end has taken out the handbrake
 cable guide that lives close-by.  Fortunately, that's all the damage there is
 - 25 quid for a used hub assembly (thanks TRGB!) and a tenner for a cable
 guide ground off a scrap chassis (thanks Manvers!).  I got off lucky.

Two morals to the tale:
1.  When putting things back together, check that they are properly assembled -
 one circlip only half-seated can cause SO much trouble

2.  More importantly, if you spot something wrong with a critical component,
 fix it NOW (or take the car off the road if you can), DO NOT reckon you can
 limp the car around while you delay fixing it.

Richard Gosling and Daffy (only outstanding fault today - one broken number
 plate light)