Spring Compressors

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spring Compressors
From: DWARE@uk.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:29:31 +0100

I've just received all the parts I need to replace the front shocks and
springs from Rimmer Brothers. I saw on the their website that they sold a
spring compressor so I ordered this as well, being listed just under the
Spitfire springs I assumed it would be the recommended tool you see in all
the manuals. Now that it has arrived I've found that it is not like that at
all, it is a pair of spring compressors (made by Draper) with a double hook
on each end (a bit like a Y shape). They look sturdy and should hook on
nicely but should I trust them or search for the proper tool as
recommended?

Any handy hints on replacing the springs? i.e. safely.

TIA,

David Ware
1977 Spitfire 1500 (UK)