Re: nuisance undercoating

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>,
Subject: Re: nuisance undercoating
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:45:01 -0500
Jeff McNeal wrote:

> Hi everyone.  The PO sprayed undercoating all over the firewall and shelf
> where the battery, M/C's, wiper motor, etc. sits.
>
> I'd really like to clean this area off in anticipation of the restoration
> and respray I plan on having done soon.  What's the best solvent to use to
> remove the undercoating -- or at least soften it up so I can more easily
> scrape it off?  I think I've pretty much given up hope of salvaging the
> paint underneath it.  I guess that's what primer's for, right?

On my 67 TR4A the PO had Ziebart sprayed all over the firewall and inner
quarter panels...the whole engine compartment was covered with it...kind of
a greenish tinted black substance. It took forever to dissolve it with
mineral spirits. I got a heat gun and heated the stuff up until it was
bubbling and then used a series of plastic scrapers to remove the stuff. The
"smears" that were left, easily cleaned up with mineral spirits afterward.
If you do this, be careful, you don't want the heated up coating falling
onto any exposed skin.

One added comment. I removed this stuff because someone told me it would be
too soft for sandblasting to remove. When I got the tub to the body shop,
they blasted some of the crevices and remaining areas and told me it came
off quite easily. If you are going to sandblast back to bare metal in this
area, it might be worth considering whether the body shop can blast it off.

My .02 worth
Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /