Timing...

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing...
From: rhill <hill@mninter.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:33:24 -0500
OK, I'm in the process of scrapping the last of my pollution control
equipment out of my '80--(the last bit of it with moving parts, the air
pump, has now failed), and am wondering about timing.  Factory spec
calls for 2atdc.  I assume that this is because of the 12 degrees of
RETARD provided by the vacuum unit--and that this vacuum unit is
emmission related.  The distributer itself seems to be able to provide
16 or so degrees of mechanical advance(at 5000RPM)--the question(s) that
result is (are):
1)Can I disconnect the vacuum retard and set the timing to 10 BTDC(and
rely on just the mechanical advance) at idle and/if I do this should I
put a different needle in the carb (say a B1DL, that I happen to have
right here in my hot little hand?)
2)Long term, should I just start looking for a different
Distributer--any recommendations for the budget-minded?  Or maybe just
locate a vacuum unit that provides advance?  I assume that the vacuum
unit is supposed to provide an instantaneous advance, until the
mechanical advance catches up--I assume, also, that the RETARD unit on
mine is emmisions related, not performance directed.
2)If I do this, will there be a real (or imagined) performance gain?
3)Also, I assume that a different needle would also minimize burning
valves, should I alter the timing...true?
Any thoughts, or basic lectures on how/why timing advance/retard is
supposed to work are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Bob Hill
'80 Spit