Re: more gasket content

To: Thearthurhsmith@cs.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: more gasket content
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:44:56 -0800 (PST)
Arthur,
The valve cover gasket is 4.5" x 14",
the oil pan gasket is 15" x 9.5"

The VC gasket I measured is already a cork/rubber
composite, about 3/16" thick.

>From your site, it seems that neoprene will work up to
250 F, though the foams seemed to have a lower temp
rating.

Again, not a gasket engineer, but in my experience
with the VC, normal clamping forces will not reliably
seal with the stock cork/rubber unit. The VC itself
flexes under standard clamping loads, because they are
transmitted through the VC body from the top bolts.
The relatively high spring rate of the cork/rubber
leads to low clamping forces at some points of the VC
mating surface. If we had a somewhat thicker gasket of
neoprene foam, with a softer effective spring rate,
then the clamping force at the mating surface would be
more equally distributed, even when the VC deforms. My
only question is the rated temp of neoprene foam.

As for the oil pan gasket, stock material is perhaps
1/32" thick. If cork/rubber in 1/16 or 1/8 thickness
is robust enough, it should work OK. The oil pan bolts
bear directly on the mating flange, and so forces are
more equally distributed. Leaks are due to the thin
gaskets.

Given access to sheet goods, prototypes could be made
by hand to test these *theories* before committing to
tooling, etc.