Re: Virus warning - EXTREMELY DANGEROUS VIRUS

To: "Gascoigne, Andy" <Andy.Gascoigne@gov.ky>,
Subject: Re: Virus warning - EXTREMELY DANGEROUS VIRUS
From: "John Weber" <weberjm@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 10:09:26 -0700
Actually, html enabled mail clients are absolutely the virus writer's best
friend.  Outlook, GW, Eudora, et cetera that are able to display inline
(online) html web content can contain all sorts of nifty things.
If you have an email client that is able to display a page sent via email,
either as a link, or as content, then the code (java, perl, cgi links etc)
can be embedded.
Having a "preview" mode only makes it worse.  Suppose you have preview, and
a linked page with some nasty back-end java or ActiveX is in there?  As the
client OPENS the message to allow a preview, the damage is already done (if
damage is there to do).  The origins of this are found in ANSI bombs that
stuffed the keyboard buffer, re-wrote code (via debug), and various other
nefarious schemes.
The better email enabled antivirus packages only protect from what they know
about, or stop malicious actions from coming from that source they are
firewalling.

Best course of action is to not preview, know exactly who sends you mail,
and to have a dead drop at one of the free webmail sites.  And always have a
virus checker that can do heuristic and predictive scanning.

Just my .02 worth.