update on restoration in a hurry (and way behind schedule)

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: update on restoration in a hurry (and way behind schedule)
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 14:56:16 -0400
Well, the car is coming along and the battery went in this weekend along
with the carpeting, it is starting to look like a real car.  I have decided
(due to absolute necessity) to put on old doors, bonnet, and trunk on it
until I can get them properly painted.

I am waiting to rebuild the engine, and have just received another setback.
Three weeks ago, if everyone remembers the block ended up with a cracked
(make that dang near shattered) main bearing cap.  Well I just back from
picking up the engine and boy do I have a pain in my gut.  As it turns out
the cap that I had as a replacement is cracked as well.  I don't know why I
missed it previously but so did their machinist.  We only caught it as they
were educating my on bearings, showing me proper ways of fitting them.  The
only reason we caught it was because the bolt did not slide through
smoothly,  so if it doesn't seem quite right keep looking, something is
probably wrong.

Big let down, now the hunt for another cap.  Ted Schumacher are you out
there????

Patrick Bowen