Re: Engine swapping (using TR7)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine swapping (using TR7)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:14:27 -0700
(Sorry if this is a re post, had mail server problems and wasn't sure if
this made it)

FWIW -
I seam to recall, in the same book that talked about the available engine
size increase over the 1300cc to what could have been over 1600 cc's if the
TR6 stroke was utilized but using a shorter stroke 1500cc's was settled
upon, that in fact such a swap was undertaken by the factory in the 60's as
a possible upgrade for the Spitfire.
The engine in question was the then new slant four overhead cam which was
basically later used in the TR7
The general consensus was that it required too many chassis, firewall, and
bonnet (bulge?) modifications for production.
The major problem with using any different engine in the Spitfire (as I see
it) is vertical clearance especially at the front of the engine where it's
closest to the hood- *most* over head camshaft engines, by their very
nature, are just too tall (crank centerline to top), without bulging or
cutting a hole the hood for clearance - the second major hurdle is limited
tranny space - that is if you don't want or can't do any body or
tunnel/frame mods to accommodate the new engine.  These were prime factors
when I did mine, plus I didn't want the engine to frame clearance such that
the exhaust couldn't fit entirely between the frame rails.  The Spitfire
has limited ground clearance as it is and having an exhaust pipe hanging
WAY below the frame to get it out the back was not acceptable (to me
anyway) -
> Now I'm curious :-) What are the pros and cons of fitting a TR 7 engine
and
> gearbox in a Mk 2 Spitfire ? Anything else that need to be modified or
> changed ?

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)