How can I fix holes in sheet metal?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: How can I fix holes in sheet metal?
From: "M. E. Foster" <foster_m@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 20:45:03 -0500
I am considering buying a '76 Spitfire that has these hideous ding guards
screwed into the doors, bonnet, and rear quarter panel with what look like #6
sheet metal screws. Naturally, I want to remove them, which will leave about 8
or 10 holes on each side. I haven't ever tried to repair holes in sheet metal. I
don't want to use bondo because I don't think it will be sturdy or permanent. I
like this car, but I don't want to waste money on it if I can't do a good job of
restoring it. Any advice appreciated.