Dangerous steering condition

To: Spitfire Discussion Group <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dangerous steering condition
From: "Ron St. John" <st-john@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:31:16 -0700
Spitlist:

I've noticed the last couple of times out that my steering had a little
slop in it.  This had never happened before but was noticeable.  Well
I'm glad I checked it.  The problem is definitely looseness in one or
two of the 4 bolts that connect the upper steering coupling through the
disc to the lower steering coupling just above the pinion shaft on the
steering column.  Even though  Kenneth Ball doesn't show them in the
diagrams (one of the pictures does though) the threaded ends of these
bolts past the disk have holes drilled through them to allow a securing
clip or wire to be attached for safety.  I clearly need to get at these
bolts and resecure them.

My problem is that this portion of the steering column is a bugger to
get at in place.  My questions are:  Do I need to take this coupling
unit out to do this fix?  If so, do I need to loosen the bolts on the
upper and lower coupling to pull this unit off of the steering column
and the pinion shaft to get at these bolts?  If so, I assume that I will
need to pull the steering column up into the passenger compartment some
to do so, correct?  How about alignment of the steering wheel after the
fix?

TIA,

Ron St. John