Re: Suggestions for a new hood

To: P.J.McKey@massey.ac.nz, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Suggestions for a new hood
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 13:10:53 +0100

Paul, I bought my tonneau cover from Prestige, and I was very impressed.  When
you phone them, you'll probably find them a little cold, and they don't sound
like they're going to go out of their way to help you - but don't be put off by
this.  The tonneau cover they supplied me didn't fit my car - the space for the
steering wheel wasn't where the steering wheel was, the poppers didn't reach
their corresponding locations on the doors, and the front corners didn't reach
around the windscreen frame correctly.  After speaking to them on the phone and
going over a couple of suggestions which didn't work, I sent the cover back to
them, and a couple of weeks later they sent me one which fits almost perfectly.

I tried a friend's tonneau cover on my car (didn't think to do this before I
sent mine back to Prestige...) and found that his also didn't fit my car - it
had exactly the same problems as the original one Prestige sent me.  So it seems
as if it's my car which is the wrong shape, not the cover they sent me.  But
based on the description of the problem which I sent them, they were able to
modify the cover so that it fits - I'd certainly consider that to be excellent
service!

As for the material, I went for the cabriolet vinyl.  I would have preferred
canvas, but I wanted it in tan, and the colour range for canvas doesn't include
tan.  The quality of the material is excellent, but I can't say how long it will
last as I've only had it a couple of months.  I have seen a couple of canvas
tops, and they really look excellent - if you can afford it, and they have it in
the right colour, I'd go for canvas definitely.

Hope that helps!

Dean