Re: HS2 vs HS4's on a Spit

To: "L&B Lubbers" <lubbers@sympatico.ca>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HS2 vs HS4's on a Spit
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 14:27:30 -0400

In message <01c003df$c365e880$LocalHost@lubbers>you write:

>So, Terry, beyond your opinion in your last paragraph, I didn't understand
>much (well ok, after the third read it began to make sense; of course, with
>what I know about carbs, you could have said just about anything).  Just
>tell me whether putting HS2's from a '69 will work better (read noticably
>more power) than the current Stromberg (model 150 CD4T) or is it not worth
>my time and effort?

   Hi Len, I have converted the single ZS on my 78 Spitfire to a dual HS2 from
   a 67 SPitfire.  It made a big difference for me in terms of performance
   and gas milage.  That is mainly due to the ZS's auto choke on my car not
   working.

   The biggest problem with the coversion was the jets.  The rebuild kits
   that I got had the wrong size jets, they had an inside diameter of .10"
   instead of .09".  This caused the car to run rich no matter how I
   adjusted them.  It also turned out the jets for the front and rear carbs
   are not suppose to be the same, so a rebuit kit that does not specify
   what kind of jet it comes with should be avoided.  Instead you should
   just buy the gasket kit and get the jets seperatly.

   The proper jets for the HS2 conversion are:

    AUD9104 (Front)
    AUD9103 (Rear)

   Also, the BO needles form the 69 Spit smaller engine should be changed.
   The proper needles AN should be used for the larger 1500 engine.

   You can have a look at my conversion with the home made throttle cable
   plate at the following links:

   http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/carpics/le1.jpg
   http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/carpics/le2.jpg
   http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/carpics/le4.jpg

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html