Help !

To: "Spit Elist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help !
From: "Ken C" <sdspitfire@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:37:14 -0700
Ok, fellow Spitlisters, here's your chance to shine !! Whoever correctly
diagnoses this problem will win an all expenses paid trip around the world
and the winning lotto ticket to the California lottery, currently at $70
million, OR, my heartfelt thanks !!

We've heard about this before, a loud 'tick, tick, tick', coming from the
rear end. Varies with speed and is present all the time, load, no load,
accel, decel, steady speed, clutch in or out. Put the car up on stands, run
the engine in any gear, no noise at all. So the noise is present only with
weight on the wheels / suspension.

The following has been done;

    new universals
    new wheel bearings (and one axle)
    rebuilt differential
    tires rotated (bolt-on wire wheels)
    new spring
    new shocks

(some of this was done as part of the restoration/rebuilding process)

I have looked for interference with the brake plate, can't see anything but
not sure what to look for. Checked the wheel nuts after hearing about Jeff's
experience, they seem tight.

At this point, ANY suggestion will be investigated, no matter how weird.
I've been fighting this since May and it's no longer "a learning
experience". The best suggestion so far is find a good mechanic. If you know
of one in the San Diego area, let me know.

Ken C
'72 Spit