Re: Tranny oil - better check your sources Nolan

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny oil - better check your sources Nolan
From: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:02:04 -0400
I think this is the main confusion of this topic in general.

The specs for  90wt in the O/Ds isn't just viscosity related...
its the other temperature and shear specs involved in the differences between
'gear' oils and 'engine' oils. at various operating temperatures

90wt gear oil viscosity at 40°C is in the neighborhood of  70-100 while the
a 20W50wt at 40°C is closer to 100-150  but both are with 10 of each other at
100°C

The flash points of gear oil are usually in the 200-250°C range
while engine oil specs have a flash point a bit higher in  220-290°C range.

If you're in cooler, damper climates. engine oil is fine
warmer climates...stick to the gear oils for the retention of the shear
properties
(better syncho engagement effects)

So what does all this mean?  Both will work fine on the street.
You're driving habits will have a greater effect if you maintain 'clean'
oil in your car.

On the track is a whole 'nother ball game.

Anyone that's wants cold hard numbers on all this can go directly to
http://www.mobil.com/index_flash.html
http://www.redlineoil.com
http://www.castrol.com
among a zillion others that list all the specific properties of their products.
(I only named these do to recent email threads naming
these as a few people use.)

Paul Tegler   wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com