Re: cylinder head

To: Dean.Dashwood@enron.com
Subject: Re: cylinder head
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:17:16 -0400
There is one significant difference between aircraft engines and Spitfire
engines. Most aircraft engines are aluminum while our beauties are iron, each of
which have their own set of characteristics. Fortunately, ours are not as prone
to fatigue as an aircraft engine but that doesn't mean that we can get away
without properly torquing our heads. If we ignore proper head torquing,
sometimes we get lucky and just blow a head gasket. Or the head warps a bit and
needs to be re-surfaced. It is rare that it gets to the condition where the head
cracks, at least for us street drivers.

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, I actually don't have a
clue...well maybe just an inkling.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario