SCCA National Championships play by play - Long

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: SCCA National Championships play by play - Long
From: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 21:59:07 -0400
Just returned from the National Championships at Mid-Ohio, all I can say is
WOW WHAT A RACE!!  Three Spits were entered, all round tails, one by Steve
???? (something like 3 time national champ, Kevin Allen, and our Own Cris
Crisenbery in his yellow 66.  Well steve started at the pole, a very
agressive Fiat X1/9 was in 2nd with Kevin in third (he actually had the best
lap time, but it got goofed up, go figure), and Cris started 11th.

>From the start of the race the front four ran away with it fighting it out
fender to fender with 2nd,3rd, and 4th actually going three abreast.  Wow
what a race.  The Fiat took an early lead, quickly out done by Steve with
Kevin hot on the tail.  Over agressive driving and bumping by our not so
friendly Fiat quickly ended him in the grass with a majorly torn rear end.
Down but not out he pulls back in a few slots behind in the standings.  Now
the fight is on between Kevin, Steve, and a mid 70's vintage Fiat (sorry not
so good with those marques)  Kevin pushed right through and took a nice
lead, fought it out a lap and then catapulted ahead by many car lengths.

At this time, Cris starting in 11th had a bad start falling back several
positions, yet quickly made it up to 9th place where he held for a few laps,
he and another car (a sunbeam Alpine I believe) had a serious fight going
on.  So strong in fact that the Speedvision commentators had grown bored
with the battle up front and were spending their time commenting on it.  The
ultimate was to see another Sunbeam (I think, they were ALL painted red) cut
off Cris and lost control, certainly to wreck cris and end his race, but
some seriously impressive driving by Chris averted this and left our sunbeam
friend skidding a bit.  Wow, very impressive Cris, I must applaude that)

About this time something happened to Steve in the Red Spit, and he broke
down, rolling into the grass.   Kevin Allen holding a strong lead, had to
pull himself into the grass as his engine was overrevving but not moving
(after race discussions, with him and Rick Kline suggested a shot flywheel),
after a minute it caught itself and he was back on the course, this time in
fourth, but seriously catching up, he was passing cars like they weren't
there,  this lasted a couple laps and then trajedy hit.   With a loud bang
and alot of clunking, as Kevin would describe it, he was done.  Appears the
rear end was done, taking a look at the input splines on the driveshaft
after the race left little doubt of this, goobered all up.

Now two spits down and Cris quickly moving up to 6th, the 70's Fiat held an
impressive lead finishing 1st, but the bumping hungry X1/9 was caught up
quick and finished 2nd on his tail.  Chris was not far behind, he took
nothing for granted finished the race in 4th behind a Sunbeam Alpine (and I
swear one more lap and he would of caught third!)

The only downer was the one vintage Datsun that had no business on the field
as it must of been lapped 5 times in the 20 lap race.  Have enough sense to
quit.

Walking around the pits, looking at impressive cars, talking to racers, and
watching the race with Cris' family and Mike Ross, even my wife admitted it
was a good day, despite the 40 degree drizziling weather.

Wow, sorry for the length but WHAT A RACE.

Patrick Bowen