Re: Silicone Brake Fluid vs DOT4

To: "Ron Deaver" <rrdeaver@emagichappens.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid vs DOT4
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:34:44 -0700
If you're restoration includes a new paint job, then save yourself the
inevitable heartache later and switch to DOT 5 which will not eat your paint
the way DOT 4 will.  I converted my brakes to DOT 5 in January of this year
and drive the car regularly.  I love the stuff.  I've never heard of any
sealing problems with DOT 5.  Furthermore, DOT 5 will prevent corrosion in
the brake lines since it does not absorb moisture the way that glycol based
DOT 4 will.

Of course, DOT 4 is the original spec, so if you feel that fact is important
enough to stay with it, then so be it.  I'm still running DOT 4 in my
clutch, but as soon as I need to rebuild it eventually or get new paint
(whichever comes first), I'll be switching that one to DOT 5 silicone, too!

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 frame-off resto project
Visit The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- moderated, focused, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!