Re: No Spark Questions/I'm frustrated!!

To: Sean & Shannon Twigg <seanan@crosslink.net>
Subject: Re: No Spark Questions/I'm frustrated!!
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:52:29 -0400
Start with the basics. And don't trust the wire colors as someone may have
changed things during the disty replacement.

You first need input voltage at the coil from the ignition switch. Use a 12V
light or volt meter to between the + terminal on the coil and to ground.
Whenever the ignition switch is on, there should be about 12V here. If not,
trace you this wire back to it's source. It should go to the ignition switch.

If you have 12V at the coil, follow the lead coming off the - terminal. It
should go to the points in the distributor. If the points are open, you should
read about 12V again (with the key on). If the points are closed, you should
read close to zero. You may be able to open and close the points to check the
voltage change.

If you are good to this point, check the rotor contact on the inside top of the
cap. Sometimes the little spring on the rotor doesn't contact the top of the cap
and you will not get a spark to the plugs. Even if this is bad you should be
able to turn the engine over and get a spark from the coil output to a ground
point on the engine.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario