Scrappy's progress

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Scrappy's progress
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:36:43 -0500
Hi all,

The 1:1 scale model of a spit6 racer is progressing nicely.

Today I got about the business of squaring the driveline to the chassis and
fabricating new engine mounts.  When you set the engine back 7.5 inches or
so, a couple of things happen.  First,  you gotta chop a whole lot o chassis
to fit the TR series gearbox.  Second,  the throttle pedal now rests on the
oil filter!  Finally,  the gearbox sits ON the frame and the shifter is
somewhere near the back seat....

I am vacillating between racer only and street monster.  I figure if a Super
7 can be licensed, so can my creation.  I will be more than compensating for
the frame mods by adding the outboard chassis rail (in preparation for a
roll cage, and for a surface to which I'll weld the flat steel floor).  Some
aluminium bashing I did with some scraps makes me think I can construct a
reasonable tunnel that will pass safety.  The stock centre arch still fits,
so I suspect I can just modify a cardboard housing if need be.

The frame mods are an extension of the notch already provided for the stock
setup.  I "carefully" cut the frame apart, expecting to need most of the
metal.  Now I realise it would have been as easy to whack it out and just
re-form the frame as a triangle with a flat plate!.  There is a 1.5" gap
between the oil pan and engine plate which is an ideally suited passage for
a 1 x 1 brace to restore structural integrity to the modified frame.

But that's tomorrow.

Dave Terrick