1964 Spitfire4 For sale in San Diego

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1964 Spitfire4 For sale in San Diego
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 13:06:30 -0700
Fellow Spitsters,

I just went out and saw this car and took it for a test drive.

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/addetail.html?4920646

Body seems very solid, no rust (!), but amatuer body prep and paint.  More
of a burgundy color.  Lots of rough spots on bonnet, trunk lid and
elsewhere.  I checked for previous front and rear fender damage and couldn't
detect any, however, the car recently rolled under the bumber of the current
owners truck, putting a slight flat spot near the top of the left rear
fender, scraping off some paint in the process.  Owner says he has more
paint.

Owner claims about 60k original miles.  Bonnet doesn't line up with body
panels on passenger side very well.  Evidence of significant nose ding
(since repaired).  Engine runs well, transmission felt a little sloppy, but
shifted very easily and ran fine through all forward gears.  Seemed fairly
torquey.  Standard 4-speed, no O/D.  Left front wheel bearing slightly
loose, but car drove fine.  Fair amount of rattles.  Car has brand new soft
top, however.  Seats appear to be original and in fair condition with some
slight tearing in driver side seat cushion.  Seat rails are complete.

Doors seem to be hanging well, hinges good on both sides but striker plates
need adjustment.  Interior tired and in need of restoration.

I can't tell whether the floors have been replaced or not (I didn't want to
tear up the carpets enough to determine), but they appear solid and in
generally good shape.  New clutch and clutch M/C. New battery and coverted
to 12v Negative ground.

Frame appeared very nice and solid, undercarriage surprisingly clean. No
undercoating present.

Owner asking $2,200, says he'll take $2k,car is not presently registered,
but title is clear.

There are lots of extra bits, including a steel hard top and glass (not
installed) which needs paint, headliner, rubber, etc.

Owner's name is Dave, phone is 619-448-7736.

--NO FINANCIAL INTEREST-- just passing on what I observed.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 frame-off resto project
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and..The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- moderated, focused, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!