spitfire won't start

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: spitfire won't start
From: SimplyCecil@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 22:03:14 EST
Okay, fellow listers, I need your help.

My 1972 Spitfire, which I have owned since new, is chewing up starters like
there's no tomorrow anymore (14 since 1982 at last count). I just replaced
one ... again ... three weeks ago with a new reduction gear starter from Moss
and ... Surprise! ... it won't start again. The starter simply turns and
doesn't even crank the engine.

What gives? I have a new battery, a brand-new-fresh-out-of-the-box starter
and a freshly rebuilt engine.  What else IS there?

Should I replace the starter switch? Do I have worn teeth on my flywheel?
HELP!