Lemons

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Lemons
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:25:54 -0700
Yes, I bought the book back in '91 but not to see how bad
Spitfires were!  Just general interest in cars.

Terry, you bet the Corvair is there, in a chapter called
"Grand Illusions" - 3 1/2 pages, 1 B&w, 1 colour, 1 double
page colour AND a cutaway drawing.  The best caption is
probably : " By the time the 66 Corvair Monza (pic above)
was produced, the original Corvairs' accident record, and
such public documents of same as Ralph Nader's expose Unsafe
at Any Speed, had made the name 'Corvair' an anathema in
American motoring."

(I'd still buy one if I could)

The Pinto gets a page, 2 colour pics and a double page
colour.  Best quote? "The most dismal aspect of the Pinto
was its propensity to explode in a ball of flame when hit
from behind.  That even a moderate fender-bender could
result in death by fire is a numbing fact that hangs over
the 1970-76 Pinto like a shadow of the Grim Reaper".

(This guy is morbid isn't he?)

Don't feel picked on about the Spitfire, though.  We're in
good company in this book - a whole lot including BMW
Isetta, Nash Airflyte, NUS Ro80,, '69 Mercedes-Benz C-111,
various flying cars,a bunch of US models  and the Amphicar!

Glad everyone liked the article.
Cheers, Fred

--

Fred & Wendy Griffiths,