Re: stumble resolved

To: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>, "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>,
Subject: Re: stumble resolved
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:51:46 -0500
This reminds me:

I have been thinking of building a microcontroller-based electronic
ignition that would have a reasonably sophisticated table-based
algorithm for controlling spark advance based on RPM and manifold
vacuum.  It would also have a control input that would let me
adjust the advance while driving, for optimizing the curves.

This would take maybe $25 in parts, and would do most of what
those fancy $300 aftermarket electronic ignition systems do.

There are a couple of open issues I need to figure out:

1: What is a good circuit for actually driving a coil?
Can I simply have the microcontroller drive a high-current,
high-voltage power transistor?  Do I need some equivalent
of the condenser? Has anyone ever seen a schematic diagram
for a Crane or similar aftermarket electronic ignition?

2: Where can I find a manifold vacuum sensor that would interface
to the analog-digital convertor on the microcontroller?  I'm
sure that any parts store would have something suitable on the shelf,
but where would I find the electrical specs?

If anyone has any links, references, or even answers, I'd love
to see them.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit