Re: Classic Car Restoration factory in China

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Classic Car Restoration factory in China
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2001 03:52:53 -0600
Sorry to wade in here, but I think Dayton is getting beaten up here a bit much.
I can't remember who accused him of being a 'newcomer', but he's been on this
 list at least as long as I have (a couple of years now), I have noticed his
 input, and he has frequently offered to help members who want to buy items
 that he could source for them cheaply in China.  As for any suggestions of
 dodgy business practice, poor quality, or other such stuff, this seems a
 little harsh before the enterprise is even set up, let alone any evidence
 available.  Although I'm still not sure what the quality of his own car proves
 in this context...

Spitfire ownership is already a global experience - that is why this list is
 made up of Brits, Americans, Canadians, Dutch, South Africans, Kiwis,
 Austrians etc.  Why should the Chinese be excluded from enjoying Spitfires,
 and other classics?  As for the export of cars from America, well that is
 already happening, as many cars are re-imported from America to the UK
 (particularly TR6s for some reason).  And, Jeff, you didn't seem to have any
 moral mis-givings about buying Mrs. Jones, who had been dragged from her
 original home in the UK (OK, I'm stretching a point here, as the circumstances
 were rather different).

However, I have a suggestion.  For some of the more popular classics, it is
 almost as cheap to build a new car from available parts as it is to do a
 top-spec restoration - particularly if some parts can be sourced cheaply in
 China.  Importing parts may also avoid some of the high car import taxes?
 This is more applicable to MGBs, Midgets/Sprites, and TR6s, for which
 complete, new body-shells are available; for Spitfires, a donor car would
 probably have to be used, but this could be a beyond-repair car.  By this
 process, Dayton could actually increase the world supply of running classics -
 surely this cannot be a bad thing?  In fact, if Dayton plans to restore cars
 that might be beyond economic restoration in the US, or would have been left
 to rust (we don't know the details of what cars he plans to export yet, so I
 am guessing here), surely a car saved is better than a car left to rot, even
 if it is in China?

I know I am going against the flow here, but many others have voiced their
 opinions, so this is mine.

Richard and Daffy