introduction

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: introduction
From: Dale Seeley <DSeeley1@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:01:12 -0500
Hi there, I just subscribed to the list today after purchasing a 1978
Spitfire.  I promise to not have anything to do with China while we own
this car.

I'm Dale Seeley, located in Rochester, NY and couldn't pass up the car
after learning it was for sale.  You see, the latest and greatest
technology has always drawn me so I've purposefully avoided the old
British cars.  It's true, I almost brought home a TR7 about a year ago,
but the owner managed to sell it the morning that I went to pick it up.
After starting a long term project, 1960 Fiat 600, I realized that I
really do need a source of oil spots in the driveway, and then this car
entered my life.

It's white, was previously owned by Spitfire fanatics, they have four
others, and appears to be in pretty darn good shape.  There's 48K miles
on the odometer, and has a recently installed clutch assembly.  The
Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder have been recently rebuilt, and all
the electrics save the radio work.

The soft top needs replacing, the frame is still there, and the car also
has a matching hardtop.  This is where I need to take a moment and
gush.  There are very few convertibles that have an optional hardtop
that actually looks good on the car.  If my wife decides that the car is
too much trouble for her, meaning she'd prefer something a little more
modern like a Miata, I'll have no problem reinstalling the top and
driving it like that.

After being completely unsuccessful at searching the archives, I have a
basic newbie question.  Since I've been unable to locate the answer at
various websites, I'm hoping it's not one of those 'questions that
remain unasked' that I've stumbled across with the Fiat.

When using the tonnenou (searching an archive would be easier if I could
spell the word I suppose) cover, just how effective is it at keeping
water out of the car?  I'm assuming my wife will prefer to drive the car
top-down and install the cover while it's parked and she is working.  If
it rains, will the interior remain dry, mostly dry, there will be a dry
spot, or 'bring a bathing suit, it's hot tub time'?

Thanks again for your help, and to add my data point to your cost of a
Spitfire (not in China) discussion, I believe the purchase price of
$2200 was fair for this car, considering I have no idea what I've got
myself into.  There is some rust near the front turnsignals on the
bonnet and along several of the seams, needs tires, and also needs the
installation of the rear spring and the trunion that are included with
the car.  It doesn't have any body repairs, remains straight, and the
doors close nicely.  After the Fiat episode, I refuse to look at the
floorboards with the understanding that ignorance is bliss.

Have fun,
Dale