a few bits and bobs

Subject: a few bits and bobs
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 12:27:27 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all,

I have a few queries to fire at you all so here goes...

I am thinking of getting a set of alloy wheels from a dolomite sprint for
my spitfire 1500.  I understand that these need spacers, but the use of
spacers can lead to cracked brake drums.  Do any of you have any
experience of this problem/fitting sprint alloys to a spit?

What is the best way of cleaning up my engine bay (particlarly dirty
after burst heater hose incident, spraying grimy water all over the
engine).  I guess that my electrics might complaing if I took a pressure
hose to the engine bay! Any thoughts?

Also, I understand that you can tell certain things about the state of
your engine by looking at the colour/consistency of oil on the dipstick.
What should I look out for?  My engine seems to be getting through quite
a lot of oil, I have identified a couple of leaks, but it's hard to tell
how bad they are with my grimy engine.

That's all for now!
cheers
John