Re: '76 Owner's manual?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '76 Owner's manual?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 15:04:35 +0000
In article <1D6EE5D5D5A0D3118D4D00508B55EA1A7A16C5@NTNREXH1.sapo.co.za>,
Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za> writes
>Hi Mike .
>
>I see a few manuals offered for the Spitfire 4 ( aka Mk 1 Spitfires ) .
>Great , but are these originals , reprints of originals or photostat copies
>? TIA

Hi Chris,

I have the TSSC Offers "Accessories Catalogue" in front of me, and along
with workshop manuals (specifically described as reproduction) and parts
catalogues, the following are listed:

<QUOTE>
Leyland Handbooks

These handbooks were originally supplied with the cars, and give in the
simplest possible terms, information vital to the proper operation, care
and regular maintenance of the car.

Contains in-depth information on the following areas:
        Routine Servicing / Recommended lubrication
        Care of Bodywork / Running adjustments
        Wiring diagrams / General specifications
        Plus much, much more.

<snip lists of Herald and Vitesse manuals>

SPITFIRE        SHB......MkIII
                SHB......Mk4
                SHB......1500    ........#6.00

GT6             GHB1.....Mk1
                GHB1.....MkII
                GHB2.....MkIII   ........#6.00
<UNQUOTE>

Despite the fact that the order codes are the same for MkIII, MkIV and
1500, the cover of a manual specifically for a MkIII is shown, and is
very different from the cover of the 1500 manual I purchased.   My
manual is either a mint-condition original, or a perfect facsimile.

There is no listing, sadly, for a Spitfire 4/MkI owner's manual.

I suggest that you give TSSC Offers a ring on +44 1858 434424 and see
what they say.   Alternatively (but more slowly), their e-mail address
is: <offers@tssc.uk.com>.

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
to be published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001: