Re: Gearbox input shaft play.

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox input shaft play.
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:59:59 -0500
David Armitage wrote:

> On taking the gearbox off the engine I noticed there is a little play
> in the input shaft. It moves by about 1mm (at the shaft end)
> perpendicular to the shaft, but there is little play pushing and
> pulling towards the box. Is this usual. Also, can anyone let me
> know where the shaft wears and how I can tell if this has been
> causing the clutch drag?

Don't shoot the messenger!  ...but it sounds grim to me.  One
thing, you didn't say whether you'd already separated the gearbox
from the bellhousing.  In any case, I don't think there should be
any perceptible motion of either kind described.  With any luck,
you may find the bearing is bunged up... but that's not likely,
is it?  It's pretty hard steel.  Perhaps the *wrong* bearing was
installed.  I'm just grasping at straws, here, because I don't
want to be the one to tell you your gear case is shot: that the
opening for the input shaft's ballrace is worn to an oval.
Still, if that is the case, replacement gear cases are
available... in fact, there were a couple up on ebay last week.

good luck!
--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.   Mammon, n.
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.       The god of the world's