Rip Van Spitfire awakens

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rip Van Spitfire awakens
From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 22:13:29 -0500
Greetings, Fellow Listers!

Rip, the sleeping Spitfire, is again among the living!  I finally had the
chance to spend some time out in the garage today.  I got the carb mounted,
and changed the oil & filter - who knows how long the old stuff had been in
there!  I pulled the plugs and spun the engine over in 10 second bursts hoping
to pump the oil up through the engine.  Shot a bit of ether in the cylinders,
installed the plugs, pulled the choke, hit the key, and IT STARTED!  And RAN!
Not real smooth yet, but not bad for starters.  I only let it run for about a
minute.  I have no idea of the condition of the plugs, points, etc.  I'll get
to those later, along with valve clearances.  I did do a dry compression check
before trying to start it, and the numbers have me a bit concerned.  125, 120,
70, and 20.  After I've verified the valve adjustments, I'll do dry & wet
tests to see where I am.  I'm hoping that letting it run a bit more will also
help.

On to today's question.  There is some kind of sensor in the lower radiator
hose.  Obviously a coolant temp sensor (duh!) but I'm not sure what it is
supposed to do, or where the vacuum ports are supposed to connect.  I'll admit
I haven't looked in the books yet, but thought I'd ask anyway.  TIA, etc.

BillG