Re: "ign" light & starter prob... coincidence?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "ign" light & starter prob... coincidence?
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 13:55:13 EDT
Listers - thanks to Chris, Richard, Dean, David, Michael, Doug, Flinters --
and anyone I accidentally missed -- regarding my starter/alternator problem
from last week.  While I have not had a chance to fully investigate the
situation, I think the problem lies either either within the alternator or
the wiring.  It's still somewhat infuriating.  Here's the scoop:
    The whole starter thing appears to be a fluke... I assume the starter
shaft bound against the flywheel or something because it would not start for
almost 24 hours and made the same clicking noise each time... but then after
I push-started the car it started fine and continues to start fine.  So we
can rule out the starter and the battery as the source of the problem, I
guess...
    The next day when I started the car to see if it would still start, the
"ign" light burned brightly.  The following day I drove the car about 10
miles and the "ign" light did not come on at all.  The day after that, the
whole flicker-thing started just like before.  (sigh).
    When I have a minute, I'll take it to my local parts store and have them
test both the alternator and the battery... or else I'll get gutsy and buy a
voltmeter like a real mechanic!  Until then, at least Hobbs is running fine!
    So thanks for all your help & advice.   Happy motoring!
Scott (& Hobbs, 77 Spit, daily driver)