EGR Valve & Weber Modification

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: EGR Valve & Weber Modification
From: "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:09:50 -0700
Thanks to all who gave me advice the other week about replacing the ZS carb
on my '79 with a Weber DGV.  Of course right after I purchased one from a
fellow lister the thread started up on the list about oil leaking out of the
dipstick when using a Weber and got me panicked.  I guess I'll just have to
cross my fingers and hope my set up is one of those one that for whatever
reason doesn't have a problem.

Now, on to the installation.  The Weber kit came with a Cannon manifold.
The question I have is what to do with the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation
Valve) on my '79 that is between the exhaust manifold and the inlet
manifold.  On the new manifold there is no where to attach this.  Can I just
remove it all together and put a plug in the exhaust manifold?  It seems
like performance might be better without it, but as I learned from the list
last week, just removing emissions stuff doesn't necessarily make things
better.

Along those same lines there is an inlet manifold heater that uses the hot
water to keep the inlet manifold hot (this is on both the stock manifold an
on the Cannon manifold).  Wouldn't this also be a performance increase to
not hook this up since you don't want hot air or maybe this helps to keep
the fuel vaporized/atomized.

Thanks,

Bob Bollinger
79 Spitfire (s