weld-on flange to bolt pipe to header

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: weld-on flange to bolt pipe to header
From: "James, Ray" <RayJ@civilmail.tamu.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:28:19 -0500
Kevin B. Rhodes asks about a bolt flange to attach header to
exhaust pipe...

>...So now with the nice new header to go in, I want to do something better.
>am thinking a bolt together flange to join the header and center pipe would

>be a nice way to go. Anyone out there done it before? Any suggestions for
>where to find such a beast? That way I could easily take the exhaust on and

>off as maintenance needs require.

Kevin:  We did exactly that with our 1500 Midget.  Buy a weld-on flange (we
got ours from
the machine shop we deal with )in the proper pipe size and have one portion
welded to
the header.  Give some careful consideration to where it will be on the car
to facilitate
installation and removal of the bolts.  Likewise consider orientation of the
bolt holes.  On
our header, all the pipes came together before a vertical run (4-1) so we
put
the flange in the vertical portion of the downpipe to make for better ground
clearance.

With one portion welded to the header, install the header, bolt on the
mating
part of the flange, and install the remainder of the system, aligning it
with
the flange bolted to the header assy.  Then, weld the last connection with
it on the car.  Otherwise, it is difficult to ensure alignment of the
flanges.

Regards,
Ray

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.                      Phone (979) 845-7436
Director of Student Services                       Fax (979) 845-3410
Civil Engineering Department            E-mail: r-james@tamu.edu
Texas A&M University
3136-TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3136