RE: Spitfire Pushrods

To: "M Klish" <mwk_gjco@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Spitfire Pushrods
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:23:20 -0400
Crud will fall down onto the top of the lifters and get caught between
them and the pushrod.  Maybe you could just have the pushrod ends polished?

I had a somewhat related problem: I got new lifters with a new cam.
The old pushrods all felt rough against them, and I had
to adjust the valves several times over the next thousand or so miles.

BTW, the lifters are supposed to rotate due to the slightly offset force
of the cam.  Normally the pushrods rotate with them, so there should
not be much wear at the pushrd-lifter joint.  but there could
be more wear where the pushrod meets the rocker arm.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

At 10:07 AM 4/11/01 , you wrote:

>I was adjusting the valves last night and noticed that  2 of the pushrods,
>when rotated on the lifters, feel quite rough.  I pulled the pushrods and
>noticed signs of wear on the convex pushrod surface of the 2 pushrods.  When
>I subsituted a smooth feeling pushrod into the rough feeling pushrod
>location, no more roughness.  I assume I need to replace pushrods.  The car
>has about 50,000 miles on it, original pushrods.  PO rebuilt engine about
>1000 miles ago.  Engine sounds very smooth.  Any opinions or experience??
>What about good quality replacements??  Thanks in advance.

///