Leaning Spits

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaning Spits
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 06:19:26 +0100
In article <4.3.2.7.0.20010412194204.00ab2420@pop.earthlink.net>,
Phillip <metaz76@earthlink.net> writes

>Ok, so I actually have two questions, what would cause the rear wheel on
>the driver's side lean in more then the passenger's side?  The passenger's
>wheel is almost vertical while the driver's side has a very noticeable tilt
>in at the top.

My '77 is the same.   The body also leans heavily to the driver's side,
and a bit to the back (i.e. driver's side rear quarter is the lowest
part of the car; passenger side front quarter is highest).   The rear
spring feels completely dead on the driver's side, and therefore I am
having this replaced next week.   A lot of people have told me that the
lean is only partly explained by a duff rear spring, and that a bent
anti-roll bar at the front is probably the primary cause.   This is
supported by the fact that when she is parked on a flat surface with the
driver's side front wheel on a ramp, magically she sits level (and the
back wheels are both just slightly off the vertical).

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///